Monday, November 23, 2009

Coming Soon: A Romp in the Olde Worlde

As soon as I can scrape together the cash, there will be a review of the soon to hit stores Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying game 3rd edition. I have selected an unlikely group of players to test this game for the review, to give it the thorough hairy eyeball it deserves.

While browsing the forums and talking to players of WFRP 1e and 2e, there seems to be a LOT of vitriol over whether or not this game is a worthy successor ... or even if it is more a board game than a RPG. I personally think it has some revolutionary elements, but I want to see them in play before I consider adopting them or the game as a whole.

1. My wife hates games with too many pieces. She'll play them, but if there's too much fiddly going on, she'll let me know right off.

2. My oldest son is a metagamist madman. He likes all sorts of games, but he will be able to analyze the system pretty quick.

3. My son's friend has one game of D&D 3.x under his belt and that was brief and largely unenjoyable for him. I classify him as the group's noob.

4. A friend of mine is a diehard 1e and 2e fanatic. He will be walking into this thing about as biased as anyone I have seen on the boards.

If this playtest succeeds, it will be ENTIRELY on the game's merits as well as my own skills as a GM. I will post the review after we have had a chance to give it the full once-over with my own comments as well as those of each of the players involved. Yes, I have stacked the deck against the game. This was intentional. I personally feel the game will be a hit -- there seems to be so much to like right out of the gate.

Once done with that, if it goes well, I will be running store demos for people who want to know what the game is all about, but don't want to drop the cash for the rather heavy pricetag without knowing if they will even like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment